The Museum Complex houses a variety of extraordinary objects and collections. The Society is best known for its toy, tool, train, redware and textile collections and its period rooms, plus an archive of works on paper held in the History Room at the Wilton Library. However, the eighteen carefully preserved and maintained 18th- and 19th -century buildings owned by the Wilton Historical Society comprise its largest collection (literally). Read about the structures preserved by the Society in the “Museum” and “Preservation” sections of this website.
Some highlights of the permanent collection include: a 1794 Ralph Earl portrait of Mrs. Jessie Simcha Jonas; a c.1889 Jumeau doll; a c. 1850 Goosewing Broad Axe; a running horse weathervane portraying the famous racehorse Ethan Allen, c.1880-1910; a bust of George Washington at Valley Forge, c.1941-1990, by Gifford Proctor; Ives trains c. 1910-1920; the 1772 Fitch House kitchen, and the extensive redware collection.