Sharp Hill Cemetery dates back to c. 1738 when it replaced the long lost original burying ground on Wolfpit Road, and was Wilton’s principal burying place until the mid-1800’s. The earliest legible stone is that of Mable Elmer with a date of January 1744. Twenty-three Revolutionary War and six French and Indian War veterans are buried here. Please meet at the Wilton Historical Society at 11:00, then the group will walk together with Museum Educator Laurie Walker to the cemetery. Ms. Walker will talk about the history of the cemetery and the lives of some of the people buried there. After returning to the Historical Society, the kids will help make their own snack, ginger cookies decorated like headstones.
Suggested for ages 6 – 12. Wilton Historical Society Members $10 per child, maximum $25 per family; Non-members $15 per child, maximum $35 per family. Please register: email@example.com or call 203-762-7257.
Did You Know?
According to Wilton historian Bob Russell “The Sharp Hill Cemetery, owned by the Wilton Congregational Church, is the oldest surviving cemetery in Wilton, dating from 1738. That year, John Marvin gave 64 square rods (4/10 of an acre) to the “Presbyterian or Congregational Society of Wilton” as the site of a meeting house for the worship of God, as the Society had outgrown the small building in which they had started 12 years earlier. The cemetery was to surround the new meeting house. Although the church building which was built there only lasted until 1790, the cemetery was used actively until the mid-1800’s and then was gradually replaced by Hillside Cemetery on Ridgefield Road, which had the advantage of more space.”