-
Lambert Corners Walking Tour
Join Wilton Historical Society Director Nick Foster on a walking tour of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved buildings at Lambert Corner. The hour-long guided tour includes Lambert House, formerly known as “Lilacstead”, which was built on the site c.1726, and eight other b
uildings moved there in order to preserve them. They are the Lambert Cottage, Kent District School, Hurlbutt Street Country Store and Post Office, Wilton Railroad Station, Davenport Barn, Cannon Family General Store, 18th-century Cannon Family Corn Crib and the not-to-be-missed George Davenport Greek Revival Privy. The entire site comprises Wilton’s Historic District #1. The group will set out from the porch of the Historical Christmas Barn.
The buildings at Lambert Corner were moved to the site of the original Lambert homestead, at the intersection of Routes 7 and 33, over the past 40 years. Most of the buildings are now used as shops and offices. The Wilton Historical Society was a pioneer in what is now called adaptive re-use – historic structures which have been updated for contemporary use. The Society has rescued, in total, 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses in Wilton, all visible from Route 7.
Complimentary cider and treats will be served. Comfortable walking attire is suggested.