In the days before electric lights, candles were often the only source of light in the dark for Wilton’s early residents. During the 17th and 18th centuries, beeswax and tallow (animal fat) were commonly used material by New England colonists to create these valuable items. However, tallow candles were imperfect because they did not burn cleanly and they emitted an offensive odor, making the preferred way to manufacture candles a process of repeatedly dipping a wick into melted beeswax until it solidified into a usable candle.
On Saturday, June 3, from 1 pm to 2:30 pm, the Wilton Historical Society will hold its very own beeswax candle-making workshop for adults. Museum Educator Catherine Lipper will discuss the history and techniques of crafting beeswax candles, while participants will make their own pair of candles for a keepsake or gift. In celebration of bees, the program will include a tasting of a homemade honey cake. Don’t miss out on this delightful opportunity to gather and learn a Colonial craft with friends!
Suggested for ages 18 and over. Members: $15; Non-members $20.
Please fill out the form below to register or email email@example.com